BioCeuticals MTHF 60 caps
Dose: BioCeuticals MTHF
Adults: Take 1 capsule daily or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Features: BioCeuticals MTHF
- Contains 5-MTHF, the most active form of folic acid.
- Supports a healthy brain and nervous system function.
- Supports healthy methylation pathways and homocysteine metabolism.
- Is involved in growth and cellular replication, and supports healthy replication of DNA through healthy DNA methylation.
- Provides 500mcg of 5-MTHF (active folate), which contributes to the normal growth of the foetus.
- If taken daily for one month before conception and during pregnancy, may reduce the risk of women having a child with birth defects of the brain and/or spinal cord such as the neural tube defects known as spina bifida and anencephaly.
- Helps maintain normal blood by helping to form red blood cells and assisting with their function.
Ingredients: BioCeuticals MTHF
|Each capsule contains:|
|equiv. 5-MTHF (active folate)||500mcg|
Ingredient Summary: BioCeuticals MTHF
- 5-MTHF is the active metabolite of folic acid. It does not require the enzymes dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) or methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) in order to participate in reactions utilising folates as a source of one-carbon moieties.
- Folic acid is converted to dihydrofolate (DHF) by DHF reductase (DHFR) and then tetrahydrofolate (THF). Folinic acid (5-formyl THF) is rapidly metabolised via 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate (5,10-MTHF), which is then converted to 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF). See Figure 1.
- 5-MTHF can in turn be metabolised by other pathways back to 5,10-MTHF, which is converted to 5-MTHF by an irreversible enzyme MTHFR catalysed reduction using the cofactors FADH2 and NADPH.
Warnings: BioCeuticals MTHF
- If symptoms persist consult your healthcare practitioner.
- Do not exceed the stated dose except on medical advice.
- If you have had a baby with neural tube defect/spina bifida, seek medical advice.
- Vitamin supplements should not replace a balanced diet.
- Always read the label. Use only as directed.
References: BioCeuticals MTHF
 Fava M, Mischoulon D. Folate in depression: efficacy, safety, differences in formulation, and clinical issues. J Clin Psychiatry 2009;70(suppl 5):12-17.
 Braun L, Cohen M. Herbs and natural supplements: an evidence-based guide, 3rd ed. Sydney: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2010.
 Folic acid/5'-MTHF. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. Viewed 10 Nov 2015, www.naturaldatabase.com
 5-methyltetrahydrofolate monograph. AMR 2005;10(4):330-337.
 Gutstein S, Bernstein LH, Levy L, et al. Failure of response to N5-methyltetrahydrofolate in combined folate and B12 deficiency. Digestive Dis 1973;18(2):142-146.