Metagenics Probex 60 g powder
- A randomised, double blind placebo controlled trial tested the efficacy of L. plantarum 299v in 40 people with IBS over four weeks. All patients treated with L. plantarum299v reported significant improvement in stool frequency and complete resolution of their abdominal pain (Figure One). An overall improvement in all IBS symptoms were noted in 95% of patients in the treatment group, compared to only 15% in the placebo group (Figure Two).1
Figure One: Change in IBS Abdominal Pain fromL. plantarum 299v.1
Niedzielin K, et al. A controlled, double-blind, randomised study on the efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum 299v in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Eur J Gastro Hepat 2001;13:1143-7.
Figure Two: L. plantarum 299v in IBS.1
Niedzielin K, et al. A controlled, double-blind, randomised study on the efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum 299v in patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Eur J Gastro Hepat 2001;13:1143-7.
- A 2011 clinical trial of 204 adults with medically diagnosed IBS, showed a significant difference in symptoms with L. plantarum 299v treatment. After four weeks the following results were reported:2
- 66.4% reduction in frequency of abdominal bloating.
- 51.9% reduction in frequency of abdominal pain.
- 42.6% reduction in frequency of bowel movements.
- 82.8% of IBS cases had an excellent to good response compared to 11.1% in the placebo group.
- Defective mucosal intolerance and inflammation: Disruption of the intestinal barrier can lead to inappropriate inflammatory responses which may occur in Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In vitro studies have shown L. plantarum 299v to have the following mechanisms:
- An effect on barrier function by decreasing permeability.
- Competitive adherence to the mucus and epithelium.3 L. plantarum 299v may help to maintain a normal, healthy cardiovascular system: In a controlled, double blind clinical trial, 36 people were administered L. plantarum 299v over 6 weeks. The results reported significant changes in leptin and fibrinogen.5 Additionally, L. plantarum299v illustrated the following proposed mechanisms on the cardiovascular system:
- Production of large quantities of propionic acid to exert anti-inflammatory action, modulating NF - kappa B and reducing the production of inflammatory cytokines.4
Each capsule contains:
Total live organisms of;
Lactobacillus plantarum 299v
20 billion CFU (organisms)
Free from dairy protein, lactose, eggs, gluten, wheat, nuts, yeast, soy protein and salt. Free from artificial colours and preservatives.
Adults and children over 5 years:Take 1/3 tsp daily.
For severe cases:Take 1/3 tsp twice daily.
If diarrhoea persists for more than six hours in infants under 6 months, 12 hours in children under 3 years, 24 hours in children aged 3-6 years or 48 hours in adults and children over 6 years, seek medical advice.
When constipated drink plenty of water.
Not all cautions and contraindications are listed. For full details, references or more information contact HealthMasters in Australia on 02 4369 7770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist consult your healthcare professional.
Store at 2° to 8° (Refrigerate. Do not freeze.)